A Train's Search For Power

 

Once there was a Diesel Train named `Vandi’(வண்டி). He had retired from his  job and was living in a railyard. One day he remembered his old friend ThiruNagar Railway Station, whom he used to visit daily before.  He wanted to pay him a visit.

So, Vandi asked the Yard Master, Gurubaran for some diesel to power his engine.

Gurubaran said “Which world are you in? Now everybody uses Electricity for power”.

 “Ok. Give me 100 litres of electricity.  I need to meet my friend” said Vandi.

Gurubaran said “ No need to buy electricity in bulk, you can pick it as you go”.

Vandi asked, “Who will give it to me?”



Guru said, “There are two guys, Mr. ThirdRail and Mr. Overhead who can provide you electricity on the way. I will call them both here and you talk to them directly”

Guru messaged both to come to the yard and they came immediately. 

Mr. ThirdRail came crawling on the ground, while Mr. Overhead came hopping from pole to pole.

Vandi asked them  “ How do I pick power from you?”

ThirdRail said “ I will be lying next to your track.  I will give you a shoe, which you can wear on your wheels and keep touching me as you go, to get power”.

Overhead said “ I will be hanging over you as you run on the tracks. Use this special stick called “Pantograph”.  Whenever you grab  me with it, you will get power”.



 

Vandi said, “Hmm… Interesting. One uses stick and other uses shoe to give power.  So whoever touches you, you will give power, right?”.

Both replied “Yes”.

Vandi said, “Oh!  both of you are very generous”.

ThirdRail said “See you understand me. But others criticize me for making people fly in air and burn their legs  when they touch me.  If they cannot use power properly, is it my fault?

Overhead said, “ Normally people don’t come near me as I am hanging high above. But birds do use me as resting place”.

Vandi asked, “Which trains use you?”

ThirdRail said, “I have been supplying power to trains since the 1860s. I have become old now, so I can give power only over small distances.  Nowadays only city folks like metro rails use me. But I do look cute and stylish unlike Mr. Overhead who looks ugly. ”

Overhead said, “I am not ugly!!! I am cool to hang around with. Even though I was born in the 1920s,  I am still going strong.  I can supply trains with more power, so they can run faster and cover longer distances. I am available everywhere, whether it is a city or a village or a mountain or a forest.”

Suddenly everyone heard a voice “ I am the coolest, youngest, and strongest. I make trains fly at high speed !!”.

Vandi asked “ Who is this? “

 A small kid appeared. “I am Maglev”.

Overhead said , “You are just a kid still in school. You can only power a toy train for a few kilometers.  Comeback once you can at least power a train to travel between cities.”.

Maglev said, “ Now I am going. But when I am back in 2027, you guys would have to retire”. And  he went away,

Vandi was confused on whom to use.  Can you all help him with your suggestions in the comments section, so that he can meet his old friend?


Comments

  1. Well done guru 👍🏻👏

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing narrative Guru..in form of story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice narrative style. I wish you had seen the steam engines of my early days. By the way, I would like to know how the bullet train that's coming to India get its power. Is it maglev?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Uncle. I have seen Steam Engines in videos.
      India's bullet train uses overhead power only. Almost all high speed rails use mostly overhead power, as it can deliver higher power over long distance. It is because Overhead lines supply AC current and 3rd Rail supplies DC current. I think with AC current, the power loss is less when transmitted over long distance.

      If required overhead lines can also supply DC current, while the 3rd Rail cannot supply AC current, because of something called skin effect (Which I dont know what it means)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rail Gauges

Why Metro Rail?

High Speed Rail